Sidelined

Working at a community college I have a plethora of resources at my finger tips such as the library and instructors in any area of expertise you could think of. So the day before yesterday I was speaking to a fitness instructor who teaches one of the Health and Fitness classes we offer.   I went to her asking questions about how to train for a 5K and nutrition. She gave me invaluable information and advice. One of which deserves it's own blog entry soon. But in regards to the 5K she told me about doing interval training and running on different surfaces.  So yesterday since my husband was going to happy hour and someone had to pick up my son from the daycare I couldn't go to Kettlebell. I was disappointed but I instead I decided to do a run on my lunch break. The gym at school has a treadmill so I fired it up and started my run. I did pretty well I thought for my first time ever running on a treadmill. I've walked on treadmills before but never did a sustained run.

I ran a mile in about 14 minutes which is I good I guess. After my run I felt fine but it wasn't long before my knee started aching. By the time the day ended my knee was getting even more stiff. Then this morning while walking up the steps at work I felt my knee shift and it hurt!  It was really stiff now and I was limping for the rest of the day. I couldn't even walk down a flight of stairs because my knee was so stiff.  Luckily for me I already had a doctor's appointment today to get the results of my physical , which by the way I passed with flying colors. All my numbers were in the excellent range.

The doctor checked my knee and did all kind of bends and twists to it and I heard all sorts of popping noises.  Not good I thought to myself.  He said there as some inflammation there but it wasn't too bad.  But he sad no high impact exercise for at least 2 weeks! 2 weeks I thought. I can't go 2 weeks without exercising!!!

Then I laughed because it wasn't that long ago that two weeks of not exercising was the norm for me. I realized I've come a long way in my fitness journey. I just don't want to backslide. I used to really hate running. At least I thought I hated it. But I've come to realize that I didn't actually hate running, I hated that I was so bad at it. I hated that I couldn't go 5 minutes without having to stop and walk. But now that I know I can do it I want to keep pushing myself and see how far I can go.  But now I'm sad that I won't be able to do it for a couple weeks. Not fair.

But this also brings me to another fear of mines. The last time I had a big weight gain was when I twisted my knee 7 years ago. I was on crutches for 6 weeks and managed to gain a crazy amount of weight. All this time that I've been working out  I've been afraid that I would get injured and wouldn't be able to work out anymore and gain a bunch of weight. I would be so depressed if that happened. But I won't let it.Like the doctor kindly reminded me. It's about calories in versus calories out. I have to keep that in mind when I plan my meals.

The doctor only said no high impact exercises I can still do everything else. So I have a date with a spinning bike tomorrow morning! I can't believe I'm actually excited. Yes folks that's how far I've come on my fitness journey. I can't wait to jump on a fitness bike!  LOL!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Rocked and Rolled!!

Eating Right....

Motivation