Never say Never....

We've all heard the saying "never say never".  I use the word never a lot. As in I'll never run a mile, I'll never like oatmeal and I'll never be a size 4.
Well the latter might be true. LOL But one thing about saying never is that you limit yourself.   When you start putting restrictions on your ability you won't even try to conquer whatever it is you say you'll never do, be, try.

For me it was a lesson I learned just in the last week. I never in my life thought I'd like oatmeal. Ever since I was a little kid I hated the stuff. Just something about soggy oats just didn't appeal to me. Neither did grits, cream of wheat, not even rice pudding. It seemed unnatural. But getting on this health kick everywhere I turned oatmeal was being shoved in my face. I was tempted a time or two to try it but couldn't get it down my throat. Then one day last week I was mixing up some for my son, who happens to love oatmeal, and like all good mommies do I tasted it to check if it was too hot.  When it hit my tongue I was like "hmm this tastes pretty good." so I tasted it again and realized that it was good and ended up eating half of it before I remembered it was for my son.  Bad mommy move.
So I made another batch to share with him and added a banana and breakfast was complete. I am now officially a lover of oatmeal. NEVER thought I'd say that.

I already told you in my last blog post what I did for my spring break but I wanted to share some small victories.  I think I mentioned in my last post how I ran a mile without stopping once. In all my years of running I never thought I could accomplish this. So I stopped trying a long time ago. Then someone challenged me and I thought he why not try it out and lo and behold I did it. 


The second, "never in life " moment that happened last week  happened when I worked out with a friend of mine. She wanted to bench press. I was skeptical at first. I didn't even want to try because I never could bench press the bar. I tried a couple months ago and that bar almost fell on my chest. And that's just the bar alone with no weights on it. The bar alone weighs 45 pounds. So I got up under the bar and lifted it and guess what this time I controlled that bar. Well not only did I conquer that, I did three sets without barely breaking a sweat. I was so proud of myself and how far I'm coming along in my fitness goals.
Which in truth I didn't really have any clear fitness goals. I started out just wanting to lose weight. I mean I was clear in how much weight I wanted to lose.  But as I go along on this journey I'm finding out that getting into shape is more than just losing weight and trying to be thin. It's like a whole set of doors are opening up with a bunch of new possibilities. I never thought about running a 5K or a half marathon, but now those thoughts stream into my head and I find myself scouring the Internet looking for races. I even saw a Triathlon ( running, biking and swimming) and of course my first instinct was to say NO WAY NEVER!

But then I thought about it and realized why not?? I'm getting stronger, faster and yes thinner ( lol) everyday. Why not push myself into the next level. Truth is I have too or else I'll end up just going back to the same bad habits that got me into the position I'm in now.  This year I'm going to conquer 5K next year Triathlons! I hope I can have someone join my triathlon team. You don't have to do all three events by yourself. You can get a team of three people to each do an event and voila!  So who's in???

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Rocked and Rolled!!

Eating Right....

Motivation