Vacations are rough on the diet!

We missed Shamu :(
So this weekend I went to Sea World. We received a free ticket in the mail a couple weeks ago. I must say this was a great marketing tactic by Sea World. It was a trip we probably would have never made if it wasn't for that ticket. And in addition to the free ticket up to 6 family members could have received $20 off the price of admission. Which is ridiculous now. $77!!!
But I digress.... so after having  lively debate with my husband on when we should go. Like his first response to anything is always "NO!" I'm like dude really relax. So we talked about it and decided to go this past weekend because he starts class again next weekend. So we packed up the Venza and the baby and we were off on our 2.5 hour trip to Orlando.

So first stop before we leave is to get something to eat for the road. Anyone who travels knows trying to find something healthy on the run is next too impossible.  I think it's something ingrained in us as humans to want the greasiest, sloppiest food when you're on the road.  We were going to stop at Chipotle first but the line was long so we decided to start driving and stop at one of the rest stops on the turnpike.  The first rest stop was 20 miles north.  We got out and surveyed our choices. Now let me say I'm  watching what I eat more than my husband.  I'm always looking for the lowest calories, fat, and sodium option while he's looking for the thing that's going to fill his belly the fastest.  LOL

There was a Chicken Kitchen, Cheeburger Cheeburger and Dunkin Donuts, and another restaurant but I can't remember the name. I opted for the Chicken Kitchen. I got a Cuban chop chop with Brown rice. It came with lettuce tomato, black beans and chicken. So far so good.
This was our actual hotel. Pretty isn't it?

The hotel we stayed in had a full breakfast buffet every morning. It had cereal, oatmeal ( which was nasty) eggs, pancakes, waffles, fruit and yogurt and variety of beverages.  I have to give it up to the Residence Inn by Marriott. It was nice hotel and very economical.  After completing a 45 minute workout, on an elliptical machine that had its on TV on, which I watched "Like Water for Chocolate"  never seen he movie but I think I might rent it,  anywho after my workout I went straight to the breakfast buffet to meet me husband and son for Breakfast. I had some eggs, ( protein) sausage ( not sure what category this falls into except TASTY!)  lol  Yogurt and some fruit. Now the yogurt I tried to stay away from because I could tell it was Yoplait. I used to eat Yoplait alot until I read the ingredients. It's full of starches and crap. I mostly only eat Greek yogurt now. I love Chobani! I did have a pancake also but that was because I knew I was going to be walking around Sea World all day so I needed something to sustain me.

That's how I view food now. I try to eat food as nourishment for things I'm going to do and as replenishment for the things I did do.   that helps you make better food choices. A bag of potato chips is not going to nourish you for a 45-minute workout or a trip around Sea World, nor will it replenish you after a workout or a walk around Sea World. Thus you don't need potato chips in your diet. See how that works. LOL

Once we get into Sea World we start walking around and go see Elmo and Friends show for my two year old who loved it!  Next thing we knew it was lunch time. Anyone who's been to an amusement park knows you're not getting anything healthy there so I just gave up even trying. But I didn't go buck wild either. For lunch we got the ribs and chicken platter with baked beans and side salad. Hubby and I shared a plate. The salad was gross so I didn't eat it but the ribs were divine and it's protein!!  Never mind the high fat content shhhhh.....
Then for snack I had some grapes and pineapple I had bought along with me in my purse.  I knew I wasn't getting any fruit or veggies at the park.  Then around 3 was the Dolphin show. The smell of popcorn wafted through the air and I couldn't resist.

I sent hubby to go buy me a bag. I  only ate half of it but that was only because I fell a sleep half way through the Dolphin show. It's not that they weren't cute but  that heat and sun can sure wipe you out. Soon it was time to leave and next thing we knew it was dinner time. We went to an Italian steakhouse.
I had the Chicken and Eggplant parmigiana. It was so divine but I could feel my blood pressure rising from all the salt. Tyler ate up his spaghetti and meatballs. the whole gigantic plate. I was so proud of him because as a mother of a toddler we are happy when they eat anything let alone a big bowl of pasta and sodium!

Next morning there was no workout and I hit the breakfast buffet again. Had about the same thing except I had french toast instead of pancakes. Had eggs, yogurt and fruit.  Then for lunch came pizza. Sigh.. I know I could have done better but in my defense it was the only thing I thought Tyler would eat but even he was like I ain't eating that crap.  My husband had a taco salad that was filled with chicken, black beans, lettuce and tomato. I should have gotten that. It was a healthier option if you didn't count the fried taco shell it came in.
All the time I was eating the pizza I was feeling tremendous guilt. I have weight loss goals I need to meet this month and eating like this isn't going to help.
Small w/ cream & sugar
=120 calories
The rest of the day wasn't so bad. I did indulge myself in a few ice coffees also over the weekend. I think I'm addicted. This could explain this headache I'm currently experiencing. Caffeine addiction maybe??


Anyway for dinner last night I had a couple bites of a homemade pizza I made the day before we left and an apple.  I wasn't going to take anymore chances. ( Pizza is going to be my downfall)

Let's just say by last night I was so bloated and to further torture myself I weighed myself and realized I gained 3 pounds. Now I know I ate horribly but I know I didn't eat 3 pounds worth of food which means I'm retaining water like no one's business.  Probably from all the sodium in all the food I ate all weekend. One of the hidden dangers of restaurant food is the sodium in them. I watched this segment on the Today Show a couple days ago and it was telling you how much salt was in our favorite food at the restaurant some of it was shocking.

This morning I weighed myself again and went down one pound. Mondays are usually my weigh-in day but I didn't even bother today. It's going to screw my numbers lol.  I've been trying to drink water all day today but I'm only on my third cup and it's already after 5pm. I don't think I'm going to make it to eight cups...let me go get some now.....ok back make that 4 cups of water!
I'm going to do some cardio tonight and put this weekend behind me. Can't let this slip get to me of course. I'll be better prepared next time I go out. Another good thing about the Residence Inn is that it came with a kitchen!  So next time I know and will bring my own food to prepare for these occasions! And it's a lot cheaper than buying your every meal!
Our kitchen wasn't this nice but you get the idea.



So all in all I give my vacation:
Accommodations: A
Sea World B+ The roller coaster Manta was the bomb!!  Food gets a C-
My personal food choices C-
Overall I give my vacation a B- health wise.  LOL

I must say Sea World sending that ticket was a genius move.  Well played my friends, well played....

Comments

  1. I think that was a sign of growth Mimi! Think about in the past you may have had anything you want in whatever amount you want without a second thought! Travel is hard on weight loss and exercise that's for sure! I found that out first hand last summer. I actually opted to stay home from some trips this year to stay focused! This year at NARC I brought my own snacks including salt free almonds but being mindful goes a longgg way I'd give you a B+

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Rocked and Rolled!!

Motivation

Eating Right....