Skip to main content

Work smarter not harder!

Ok so anyone who knows me personally know that I'm a lazy bum. I'll admit it. I'm always looking for the easy way out of any situation. I was the second oldest out of  seven kids so that left 5 brothers and sisters to do my bidding growing up. Whenever I didn't want to  do something I could call one of them to do it for me and they'd have to because I was older. Sorry guys! LOL

It wasn't until I got into the workforce that I learned there was an actual saying behind this mentality. It's called "Work smarter not harder". What a great concept,  I thought the first time I heard it. Of course the person who said it was passing the work they were supposed to be doing on to me but hey that's neither here or there.  I was learning something valuable. So how does this correlate to fitness? Well let me explain.  One thing about lazy people is that we're very creative when  it come to getting things done or in this case getting out of getting things done.  One could argue the amount of time we spend trying to get out of work could be used to actually do the work and get it done. But who wants to do that???  We're lazy remember???

Anyways back to exercise and fitness. So as everyone who has been reading this blog knows my goal is to be fit and fab in 2011.My journey actually started in 2010 but I've amped it up since January 1st. I started trying out different workouts, doing two a days, eating better, getting more sleep. And so far I've been satisfied with the progress. But like with anything you attack full force you get a little burned out after a while. And that's what happened to me in the last week or so ago. Frankly, I was getting tired of exercising everyday. But I haven't given up on my goal to fit and fab so I had to find a way to continue to lose weight without the two a days.  That's when it dawned on me to let my body do the work I didn't want to do. Work smarter not harder!
I read a lot of fitness and health blogs and subscribe to Shape and Self magazines that give out a lot of good advice and one really stuck out to me. Foods that burns calories and keep you full longer so your not binging on anything you see because you're starving. And I had an epiphany. I'm going to turn my body into a fat burning machine!
Then I kicked myself for not thinking of it sooner. You mean I don't have to spend 5 days a week, twice a day in the gym to lose 1 pound a week? And I don't have to take any pills, powders or starve myself....Where do I sign up???? 
Below were a partial list of foods that were identified ( after consulting with experts of course) by Self Magazine to be "Super foods" that get your metabolism hopping ( which is very important if you want to lose weight) and it keeps you fuller longer.  Something else you want if you're trying to lose weight.

Steak

Beef has a rep as a diet buster, but eating it may help you peel off pounds. In a study published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, women on a diet that included red meat lost more weight than those eating equal calories but little beef. "The protein in steak helps you retain muscle mass during weight loss," says study author Manny Noakes, Ph.D. Try to consume local organic beef; it's healthier for you and the environment.
Eat more Grill or broil a 4-ounce serving of top round or sirloin; slice thinly to top a salad, or mix with veggies for fajitas.

Eggs

Dig in to eggs, yolks and all: They won't harm your heart, but they can help you trim inches. Women on a low-calorie diet who ate an egg with toast and jelly each morning lost twice as many pounds as those who had a bagel breakfast with the same number of calories but no eggs, a study from Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge reports. "Egg protein is filling, so you eat less later in the day," says David Grotto, R.D., author of 101 Foods That Could Save Your Life (Bantam).
Eat more Omelets and scrambles are obvious choices, but if you can't cook before work, bake a frittata on Sunday; chill it and nuke slices for up to a week. An easy recipe: Vegetable Frittata.

Kale

Long sidelined as a lowly garnish, this green belongs center stage on your plate. One raw chopped cup contains 34 calories and about 1.3 grams of fiber, as well as a hearty helping of iron and calcium. But kale's earthy flavor might take some getting used to. Spinach, another nutrient powerhouse, is a milder-tasting option.
Eat more Mix chopped raw kale into cooked black beans, says Jennifer Iserloh, founder of Skinny Chef Culinary Ventures, in New York City. Or slice kale into thin strips, sauté it with vegetable broth and top with orange slices. Make it a meal by tossing the mix with quinoa.

Oats

"Oatmeal has the highest satiety ranking of any food," Grotto says. "Unlike many other carbohydrates, oats—even the instant kind—digest slowly, so they have little impact on your blood sugar." All oats are healthful, but the steel-cut and rolled varieties (which are minimally processed) have up to 5 grams of fiber per serving, making them the most filling choice. Instant oats contain 3 to 4 grams per serving.
Eat more "Instead of using breadcrumbs, add oats to meat loaf—about 1 cup for a recipe that serves eight," Iserloh recommends. Or try her recipe for turkey and oatmeal meatballs.

Now remember everything in moderation. Just because it has the ability to aid you in losing weight doesn't mean you grab the biggest piece of steak you can find and start gnawing on it. Portion control is the key here.  I left links to recipes for these foods if you're not sure what to do with them or how to eat them. I've had kale before and like it says above it does take a little getting used too. I think I'll stick with spinach. LOL
The oatmeal one I'm still trying to work on. I don't like oatmeal. I find nothing appealing about mushy, clumpy stuff in my mouth. That include grits, cream of wheat, even rice pudding.  I just cannot.  But I will eat an oatmeal cookie. I wonder if that counts??  LOL I'll have to ask Self magazine. 

Wild salmon

Not only do fish fats keep your heart healthy, but they shrink your waist, too. "Omega-3 fatty acids improve insulin sensitivity—which helps build muscle and decrease belly fat," Grotto explains. And the more muscle you have, the more calories your body burns. Opt for wild salmon; it may contain fewer pollutants.
Eat more You don't need to do much to enhance salmon's taste, says Sidra Forman, a chef and writer in Washington, D.C. "Simple is best. Season a fillet with salt and pepper, then cook it in a hot pan with 2 tsp oil for 1 to 3 minutes on each side."

Apples

An apple a day can keep weight gain at bay, finds a study from Penn State University at University Park. People who chomped an apple before a pasta meal ate fewer calories overall than those who had a different snack. "Apples are high in fiber—4 to 5 grams each—which makes them filling," says Susan Kraus, R.D., a clinical dietitian at Hackensack University Medical Center in New Jersey. Plus, the antioxidants in apples may help prevent metabolic syndrome, a condition marked by excess belly fat or an "apple shape."
Eat more Apples are the ideal on-the-go low-calorie snack. For a pielike treat, chop up a medium apple and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp allspice and 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Pop in the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes.

Blueberries

All berries are good for you, but those with a blue hue are among the best of the bunch. They have the highest antioxidant level of all commonly consumed fruit, according to research from the USDA Agriculture Research Service in Little Rock, Arkansas. They also deliver 3.6 grams of fiber per cup. "Fiber may actually prevent some of the fat you eat from being absorbed because fiber pulls fat through the digestive tract," Zuckerbrot says.
Eat more Instead of topping your cereal with fruit, fill your bowl with blueberries, then sprinkle cereal on top and add milk or yogurt, Iserloh recommends.

Almond butter

Adding this spread may lower bread's glycemic index (a measure of a food's effect on blood sugar). A study from the University of Toronto found that people who ate almonds with white bread didn't experience the same blood sugar surges as those who ate only the slice. "The higher blood sugar levels rise, the lower they fall; that dip leads to hunger, causing people to overeat," says study author Cyril Kendall, Ph.D. "Furthermore, blood sugar changes cause the body to make insulin, which can increase abdominal fat."
Eat more Try it for a change from peanut butter in sandwiches, or make a veggie dip: Mix 1 tbsp almond butter with 2 tbsp fat-free plain yogurt, Iserloh suggests. Or add a dollop to oatmeal for flavor and protein.
I've never had almond butter but I think I'm going to try it. 

Yogurt- MY FAVORITE!!

Dietitians often refer to plain yogurt as the perfect food, and for good reason: With its trifecta of carbs, protein and fat, it can stave off hunger by keeping blood sugar levels steady. In a study from the University of Tennessee at Knoxville, people on a low-calorie diet that included yogurt lost 61 percent more fat overall and 81 percent more belly fat than those on a similar plan but without yogurt.
Eat more "Use lowfat plain yogurt instead of mayonnaise in chicken or potato salad, or top a baked potato with a bit of yogurt and a squeeze of lemon juice," Krieger says. You'll save 4.7 grams of fat per tablespoon. Look for Greek yogurt, which has more protein than other versions.

Tarragon

You can use this herb, a staple in French cooking, in place of salt in marinades and salad dressings. Excess sodium causes your body to retain water, so using less salt can keep bloating at bay. Plus, tarragon lends a sweet, licoricelike flavor to bland foods. (Use the French version of the herb when possible; it's sweeter than other varieties.)
Eat more Rub 2 tbsp dried tarragon on chicken before baking or grilling. Or make a tasty dip by mixing 1 tsp chopped fresh tarragon into 4 oz lowfat plain yogurt and 1 tsp Dijon mustard, recommends Jacquelyn Buchanan, director of culinary development at Laura Chenel's Chèvre, a fromagerie in Sonoma, California.

Avocado

Don't let the fat content of an avocado (29 grams) scare you—that's what makes it a top weight loss food, Kraus says. "The heart-healthy monounsaturated fat it contains increases satiety," she says. And it's terrific summer party food.
Eat more Add avocado to your sandwich instead of mayo for a creamy texture and a shot of flavor. Avocados do contain a lot of calories, so it's best to watch your portions. One easy way to do it: Try Wholly Guacamole's 100-calorie fresh guacamole packs ($3; grocery stores or WhollyGuac.com). They're easy to pack in your lunch and pair with chopped vegetables.

Olive oil

Like avocados, olive oil has healthy fat that increases satiety, taming your appetite. But that's hardly its only slimming feature. "Research shows it has anti-inflammatory properties," Kraus says. Chronic inflammation in the body is linked to metabolic syndrome.
Eat more Drizzle your salad with olive oil and you'll increase the antioxidant power of your veggies, a study published in the British Journal of Nutrition notes. Or toss pasta with a few teaspoons of olive oil, fresh basil and sautéed garlic, Kraus suggests. Add this oil to your summer menus for a flatter tummy by fall.

And there you have it. These were just a few of the foods from the list that will help on your journey to lose weight and eat healthier.   If you start incorporating any of these in your diets let me know and tell me how it's helped you! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Rocked and Rolled!!

Eating Right....

Motivation