....And Things

So when I started this blog many, many years ago it was primarily a fitness blog. Around that time I was just becoming fitness minded so I was learning all these new things about food and exercise. Moving to Georgia has put me on a journey of self-discovery in ways I didn't even imagine. It's been exciting but it's been hard at times.  I've had to rethink the question of "Who am I?"
As a working woman I always identified myself as that first. I was a working woman before I was a wife and a mother. Those were just added responsibilities that I chose. But since moving to Georgia I had to refocus. My plan was to find a job once we got settled in here. But we realized that I didn't have to jump into a job just because we needed the money. So that left me wondering if I didn't have any limitations what is it that I wanted to do? Well I'm still working that out. LOL.

But in the mean time I'm working on other areas of my life. Back in Florida I never really thought of about home decor. But being in a new house and being in it more hours of the day than I used to be I started thinking about how I wanted to decorate my house.  Having Pinterest in the palm of my hand I started looking at all these different home decor styles.  I couldn't figure out what my decorating identity was. Was I contemporary? Modern? Contemporary modern? Boho chic? Urban?

It was overwhelming. So I just started looking pictures and I found myself  gravitating to farmhouse chic designs. Maybe because I live in an area that's basically 2 steps from the country I started seeing it everywhere. It's something about farmhouse style that brings about a level of warmth and simplicity. I love the use of natural wood and steel. To me it brings a level of charm and character into a room.

My Pinterest inspiration


But you'd think farmhouse chic wouldn't be that expensive to pull off since it's supposed to have a level of simplicity to it. But NO ma'am or sir! The prices for many of the pieces I saw on Instagram was ridiculous! Then it was Pinterest and YouTube to the rescue.  You can find videos on how to do about anything on there. A few famous Farmhouse designers are The Shanty 2 Chic ladies and Chip and Joanna Gaines with their Magnolia Hearth and Hand line ( which can be found at Target).  Love their stuff but way too expensive. Luckily for me I have a husband with a saw and random pieces of wood laying around the garage.   Wood pieces are big in farmhouse decor. So armed with wood, a saw and any project I could find on Pinterest I worked on a few things.






 Project 1 was this wooden planter box. Found these 4 pieces of wood in the garage. They weren't even the same length or width but we made it work. You can't really tell but it is a little uneven but it works!



Random wood pieces cut to size
Glued together


Sanded and stained
Added "Family" Got it at Walmart for $1





That was my fall look. But I'm slowly transitioning my house to Christmas so I changed the floral out. I made those black and white pillow covers out of fabric from Jo-Ann Fabrics. Much cheaper than buying new pillows. 




 Project 2 was a wood sign, again which is big in Farmhouse decorating. I never noticed wall signs before when out shopping. Now I see them everywhere and they are so cute! But again, expensive!  I made a few signs but this one is one of my favorites. It was actually 2 pieces of wood that I glued together. Then stained it. I bought the stencil from Joann Fabrics, on sale of course.



 Project 3: This is my coffee bar I'm working on building. Slowly but surely. But again, random piece of wood from another project. It was just wide enough to fit all the letters except for the "C" but it worked out. I sanded and stained the wood, beat the wood up with a screw driver to distress it. Painted it white and sanded it again before adding the stencil. This one I got at Michael's, on sale of course.


Project 4

 This actually started out as a project FAIL... Look at that horrible stenciling. But Pinterest to the rescue! I found something similar that gave me the idea to paint over it. This is displayed on my nightstand.


I'm having fun with this, and always looking on Pinterest for me next project. Now that Christmas season is upon us it's going to be on and popping, much to my husband's chagrin.  LOL!
I can't go into a store now without going up and down the Christmas aisles and taking mental notes and maybe picking up a thing or two.

Shhhh, don't tell my husband.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Rocked and Rolled!!

Motivation

Running!!!