Running While Pregnant


January 1st run!


So now that I've come to terms with it, I'm proud to announce that I am pregnant!  LOL!  Just kidding. Well I am pregnant, but there was nothing to actually comes to terms too since I was trying to get pregnant. But it's one thing to think about getting pregnant and something else to actually be pregnant. Especially when it comes to health and fitness.  Everything kinds of takes a backseat to this new life growing inside you.  Which I became painfully aware of almost immediately after conception. 

I noticed something was different about me and my running on January 1st.  I ran with some of my girls from Black Girls Run, and while doing a scant 3 miles I found myself huffing and puffing.  I thought it might have been from staying out late the night before ( don't worry no alcohol, I went to church as I always do for NYE.) So I just chucked it to having a bad day. Then a few days later I ran again and same thing happened. I was huffing and puffing and couldn't run as fast as I was used to running.  That's when it hit me.  Something is wrong.  So the next day I took the pregnancy test and lo and behold it was positive.  I was a little shocked at first, then excited, then I started to panic.  I had a half marathon that was coming up in 3 weeks. This was NOT a great time to be pregnant. I had great plans for the race. I was going to slaughter my last half marathon time.  I didn't know what to do.  Run, don't run? 
ING Miami 2013
I continued to train, running with my friends and desperately trying not to let my little secret slip.  I finally got an appointment with the doctor about a week before the race.  To my surprise I was further along than I thought I was in my pregnancy.  I told her about the race and she said it would be fine but told me that I should not be trying to break any records.  I was sort of bummed, but I accepted it.

So the day of the race I got myself ready.  I played it safe but in the back of my mind I was still trying to hit my goal of coming in under 2 hours and 30 minutes.  I stopped at every water station to drink water and Gatorade to make sure I didn't get dehydrated and really enjoyed the fresh pineapples on the course. 
I was doing well all the way up to mile 10. That was when the 2:30 pacers passed me.  It was a deflating moment.  but the upside I felt relatively good. last year at this race I wanted to die by mile 10, this time it was only about mile 12 that I wanted to die.  LOL.  I crossed the finish line and almost burst into tears.  13.1 miles is a humbling experience.  When I finally got my official time, I really wanted to burst into tears.  My time was exactly 2:38 minutes. 8 minutes over my desired time. but at least I beat my old time..... by a mere 12 SECONDS!!!  I was so annoyed. LOL. Really 12 seconds.  But hey it's a  record.  and I am pregnant and I didn't really train like I was supposed too. Shhhh don't tell my doctor. 




This was all back in January.  Now it's April and the only thing I can say is that running hasn't gotten any better.  I mostly walk more than I run now.  I add bursts of runs between my walks because I can't stand walking!  I really, really miss running.  Who would have thought I'd be clamoring for the days I can run 5 or 6 miles again. 
In the meantime I am so grateful to have the support of my running group.  They have been so supportive. They watch out for me when I run to make sure I'm not overdoing it. One member even bought me a guide to running while pregnant. That was so sweet of her.  I'm getting used to this growing belly of mines ( not to mention butt and hips ugh!)  But I can't help it. The cravings are killing me. But that's another blog for another day! 

Comments

  1. you are amazing and definutely inspiring:)
    best wishes to u and your baby!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Rocked and Rolled!!

Motivation

Running!!!