Yoga!

As every knows my new favorite hobby is running.  Which is very shocking to me since I used to hate running so much. But when the opportunity came for me to start a running group through the "Black Girls Run"  I jumped at the chance because at the time I wanted something to challenge me.  And at the time running was the ultimate challenge.  When I started the group last May I could barely run a mile.But over time as I got  better I realized that it wasn't that I hated to run, I just wasn't doing it right which in turn made me not like it. After building my endurance and learning more about the sport I realized that I love running.  So much so that in the year that I've been running I've completed 4 5ks ( that's 3.1 miles) and I've completed 2 half marathons ( 13.1 miles). All of which occurred in the last 5 months.  I've really been wracking up some miles hitting the pavement.
But like with every sport there's a downside.  running really tightens up your muscles.  And stretching becomes very important to loosening those joints and muscles so that you're not walking around all balled up.
Which is why I've taken up yoga.
Hamstring stretch-another must for runners
Now I know I mentioned that I hated running but realized that I didn't so much hate it as I didn't understand it, but this is not the case with yoga.  I really don't like it.  LOL.  I've been doing yoga on and off for years. I'm not a newbie to it. Although I haven't experienced all the different types of yoga such as hell on earth  Bikram yoga. That's where they put you in a the hottest room known to man and make you do the most ridiculous moves. I think this guy's recap is the funniest thing I've read about  Bikram yoga.
The reason I don't like yoga is because I like to be challenged and pushed to my limit while working out.  I don't feel like I've got a good workout unless I'm ready to pass out and dripping in sweat. My trainer Jon says it's because I'm a "beast"  lol.   But I decided to give yoga another try.

Luckily for me, I work at a school that offers students and employee free yoga sessions every Thursday.  Since lately I've been feeling very tense and according to my personal training instructor I should be doing stretching session 2 to 3 times a week. I decided to take the class.  That day I made sure to wear my tights and workout gear under my work clothes so I could easily throw it off.
Apparently we got a new instructor since the last time I attended the class. I'm going to miss Deborah. Apparently she's busy working at her gym to do the class but she sent an excellent replacement. 

 Teacher was engaging yet calm as she walked us through every move.  Now I know I said I don't like yoga because I don't feel challenged enough but don't get me wrong it's a different type of challenge to get into some of these moves.My flexibility is not what it used to be. But I did learn a few new moves that I'll be incorporating outside of class.

This move right here felt like heaven to my always tight hip flexors.  I forgot the name of it man what a great stretch. Stretching your hips can be very difficult for beginners. I've been doing it for years and still seem very rigid in that area.  Could be why lately I've been having some hip pains after running.  One thing I don't want is to injure myself to the point where I can't run or do any of the other physical activities I enjoy weekly.  So if it means yoga at least once a week so be it.  If for nothing else than the fact it is so relaxing. I swear I take a 3 minute nap at the end of every class. LOL

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Rocked and Rolled!!

Motivation

Eating Right....