Couponing and Healthy Eating!

By now many of you have heard of this new craze called extreme couponing. You'd probably heard of the show on TLC where these people go into the stores armed with coupons and come out with hundreds of dollars worth of food and only a fraction of the cost.   It seems like a great idea. You collect coupons and go into the store and buy massive amounts of food for pennies. Who wouldn't want to get in on that deal. So After watching a few of my friends and family jump into this I decided to take it on also. 
So I did what the experts said.  I went into Publix ( my local grocery store) cased the joint. Walked up and down all the aisles looking at what was on sale, what had coupons, BOGO, etc.....  Then went home and prepared my coupons. I've been using coupons here and there for the last few weeks But today I was determined to come out with a good deal. 

But one thing that I noticed about all the coupons I have is that the majority of the coupons are for processed foods.Anyone who has been following my blog for the last year know that I'm all about eating whole foods and foods closest to it's natural state.  But if you go through the coupons in your Sunday paper the majority of them are for boxed items. It drives me nuts. It's very rare that I'll get a coupon for meats or produce.  If I do get a coupon like that it's usually a store coupon where you get $5 when you spend $30. So I use that to stock up on meats and produce.  
As far as not buying a lot of processed food I think I did pretty well.  The only thing that I bought that was borderline for me were a couple products from Kraft.  But I read the ingredient list. I chose the ones with the shortest ingredient list. LOL.  
Anyway this was my bounty.  
Sorry so blurry, phone was dying. 

Chicken Breast -  $5.71
Used:  (1) $1 off Chicken WYB Kraft Fresh Take – Peelie on Chicken
Final Price:  $4.71

Pork Chops @ $4.02

4 Croissant @ $1.00 each,  regularly $1.39

3 Voskos Greek Yogurt @ $1.00 each -On Sale, regularly $1.50
  • Used a Publix Advantage flyer coupon for $1 off 3
  • Made them .66 each  

Bird's Eye Frz Broccoli - $1.30
  • All Bird's Eye Frozen Veg are 50% off.  

4lb Oranges -$3.49  

Strawberries 3 for $5 
Bought 1 package for $1.67  

Banana .69/lb  1.54

Milk - $3.65
Used a Milk coupon from Facebook for FREE milk with 3 breakfast items. The 3 Yogurts I bought counted. 
Made the milk Free.  

1 Philadelphia Cooking Creams, retails for $2.99, on sale for $2.00 each
    • For this and the next 2 items I used 2 $2/2 Kraft items Publix coupons from the Yellow Ad. Flyer, basically getting $1 off each item
    • Stacked with  a $1 coupons from Sunday paper
    • Made them all $1.00 
      Package of Kraft Milk Granola 2/$5 Bought one for $2.50 
      Used a $1.00 off coupon
      $2/2 Publix coupon along with the other deal above. 
        
      2 Packages of Kraft Fresh Take breadcrumb mixture, retails for $3.19 each, on sale for $2.00
    • Used above mentioned Publix coupons
    • Stacked with 1 $1.00 from Sunday paper
    • Made them $1.00    

 2 Cans of Black Beans- .79 each = $1.58
This wasn't originally on the list but it was on sale and I love black beans. Saved .34 each.  

5 Cans of Del Monte Corn 
On Sale 10/$10 making it a dollar each
I used a coupon from Sunday paper for $1 off of 5 cans 
Making them .80 each  

Whole wheat bread 2.99 
BOGO sale so got one free for $2.99 


CoverGirl Mascara  $7.99
Promotion 20% off - .$1.60
Manufacture coupon for $1.00 off
Publix coupon for $1.50 off  
Making it   $3.89

Sundown Vitamin D - $4.99
Sundown Vitamin B12 $5.99
Used 2 Publix coupons for $3.00 off each 
Manufacture coupon from Sundown site for $3.00 off of 2 
Making them $.99 each 







 It wasn't extreme savings like those people who have been doing it for a while but to me it was pretty decent.  There's a site called www.IheartPublix.com that releases the deals for the upcoming sale week so you know early whether you can wait on an item.  I actually have a couple deals and coupons ready for that the new sale week starts on Thursday! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Rocked and Rolled!!

Motivation

Running!!!